One dead, many missing as explosions demolish part of Quebec town following train derailment

National Post | News

[np_storybar title=”Raw video of the Lac-Megantic derailment” link=”#1″]
[/np_storybar]

LAC-MEGANTIC, Que. — The death toll from the derailment and explosion of an oil-laden freight train is expected to climb well above the one body discovered so far, police said Saturday night.

“We do expect that we will have other people that will be found deceased, unfortunately,” Sgt. Guy Lapointe of the Sûreté du Québec told a news conference. There have been reports of as many as 60 people missing, but he did not provide a figure. He said he expects the death toll to be lower than the number of people reported missing.

Flames from the burning tankers shot into the night sky as the authorities provided their update. Lac-Mégantic fire chief Denis Lauzon said a two-square-kilometre zone in the heart of the town remains too dangerous to set foot in. There are five derailed tanker cars there that could…

View original post 1,758 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s